Archived Story

House fire south of Sweet Water claims life

Published 3:36pm Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A man was killed in a fire Tuesday, Feb. 12, just south of Sweet Water.

Billy Russell Norwood Sr., 71, was unable to escape from his burning home on Nicholsville Road.

The Alabama State Fire Marshal’s Office believes the fire was caused by electrical wiring.

Responding at the scene were the Sweet Water Fire Department, the South Marengo Fire and Rescue Squad, the Marengo County Sheriff’s Department, the Alabama State Fire Marshal and the Marengo County Coroner Stuart Eatmon.

Editor's Picks