UWA opens with win

Published 12:00 am Friday, August 26, 2005

LIVINGSTON-What was supposed to be a memorable first game for the Concordia College Hornets turned into an evening they would probably rather forget as the university of West Alabama Tigers welcomed them to college football with a 34-12 drumming.

It didn’t take the tigers long to let Concorida know they were in for a long night. The Tigers took their opening possession 64 yards in a little over a minute to go up 6-0. The score was set up by a 40-yard pass by quarterback James Reiter deep inside Hornet territory to set up his own three-yard scamper. The point after from Mitch Warfield was good giving the Tigers a 7-0 lead with 11:26 left in the first quarter.

Later in the period the Hornets showed that they were to be no pushover as they marched 68 yards down the field to get on the board. However, the PAT would fail leaving the Tigers with a slim one-point lead with 3:02 t go in the first.

Email newsletter signup

Both offenses would struggle in the Sumter County heat for the rest of the quarter and ended the opening period of play with a 7-6 score.

The Tigers opened the second quarter with a 12 play drive, but couldn’t find the end zone. After stalling at the Hornet 9 yard line the Tigers had to call on Warfield to add a 26-yard field goal to pad the lead to 10-6.

Again, both offenses sputtered and it looked as if the 10-6 score would hold up for the half. However, with 2:30 on the clock Reiter found Chris Coach streaking down the left sideline and hit him in stride for a 79 yard scoring strike. Again, the PAT was good and the Tigers were ready to head into the locker room with a 17-6 lead.

Or so it would seem. Concordia was stagnant on their next possession giving the Tigers the ball one more time in the half. UWA needed only two plays for quarterback Reiter to move them inside the five-yard line and stroll in for another 2 yard score. The PAT was again good giving the Tigers a 24-6 halftime lead and a ton of momentum.

Unfortunately, someone forgot to tell Concordia they were supposed to give up. The Hornets came out fired up for the third quarter and drove 71 yards in seven plays for another score. The PAT failed leaving the Tigers with a 24-12 lead.

UWA would answer in a bog way taking to the air. Reiter found LarRentae Richardson in the right flat who weaved through Hornet defenders and dragged one five yards to complete the 57-yard scoring strike. The PAT was again good giving the Tigers a 31-12 lead.

The Tigers would cap their scoring with 2:24 left in the game, as Warfield would finish a 14-play drive that took the wind out of the Hornets with a 28-yard field goal.

The win broke a two game opening day losing skid for the Tigers who hope to build a two game winning streak next week at home against Lambuth. Kickoff is set for Thursday night at 7 p.m. in Tiger stadium.