Up in smoke
Between 3:30 and 3:45 a.m. Friday morning, State Senator Bobby Singleton’s home went up in flames.
Singleton was at home watching television in his den when he learned it was on fire.
“Some gentleman, I think, some log truck drivers, stopped and knocked on the door to let me know the house was on fire,” Singleton said.
Singleton called the fire department around 4 a.m. as he started moving cars out of dangers way. However, it was an hour later before help responded to the call.
“They came out, and I think they did a really good job. I really appreciate what they did with what they have to work with. What we have to do here is get more fire hydrants in the community, and get them more trucks that can haul more water.” said Singleton.
“I think that the volunteer fire fighters are doing a great job, and I support them. I just think that we have to work on our response time. They always do the best that they can do with what they have,” Singleton said.
Volunteer fire fighters started to leave the scene after the fire died down hoping the fire would be contained. However, later in the day, the fire blazed back to life.
“What is going on now with the fire blazing back up is what I was afraid would happen. We are going to rebuild whether it’s here or somewhere else,” said Singleton.
The fire started in the newly added portion of the house, and is believed to be an electrical fire.
DEMOPOLIS – Despite severe storm damage to the area, the weekend events for Christmas on the River are still on... read more