Fund set for house-fire victims

Published 12:00 am Friday, July 13, 2007

MARION JUNCTION &8212; At approximately 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, a house fire ignited at the home of Ralph and Bobbie Blackmon and Andy and Karla Dailey in Marion Junction.

Karla Dailey and her sisters-in-law, Angie Pugh and Amanda Miller, and their families were sampling spa products. Shortly thereafter, a fire started in the kitchen and everyone in the home had to evacuate.

Miller remembers a candle that was burning in a pot near the stove, but was certain that her sister-in-law had turned the stove off before leaving the kitchen.

Email newsletter signup

Reportedly, Marion Junction Volunteer Department and Potter&8217;s Station Fire Department responded to the call. Neither of the fire departments could be reached for comment.

According to Miller, the house sustained major damage but there were no injuries to anyone involved.

According to Pugh, the home was a 200-year-old antebellum home that had been built sometime in the 1800s.

Since the stairs were destroyed, the Daileys have not been able to gain entry to the upper level of the home to get clothing and diapers for their two small children, Drew and Ava,

Since Saturday, the family has been staying next door with Janice Blackmon, who was not at home when the fire broke out.

Blackmon said that the insurance company has not determined the extent of the damage caused to the house.

According to Miller, the family is doing well, considering their losses.

The Demopolis community has joined together to assist the families. Donations can be dropped off at the Food World branch of Robertson Banking Company or they can be sent to 5994 County Road 29, Marion Junction, AL 36759.

If you need more information on how to help, contact Janice at 334-872-7017, Amanda at 334-295-1528 or Angie at 334-289-5287.