Fire destroys home in Gallion

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, April 24, 2002

The home of Jimmy and Janet Marlowe in Gallion was destroyed by fire late Saturday evening.

The family was camping in Forkland when the fire began.

The Gallion Volunteer Fire Department responded to the fire which began sometime between 11:30 p.m. and midnight, Janet Marlowe said.

Email newsletter signup

The family was notified at 1 a.m. Sunday by a friend, Ann Jackson, and they returned to the property to find the house at 1640 County Road 2 burned to the ground.

Janet Marlowe is a sales representative with The Demopolis Times.

Mr. Diller checked to see if the Marlowes were in the structure. Someone moved Janet Marlowe’s Cadillac parked next to the house.

The vehicle was damaged by the heat of the fire. "The aluminum siding melted on it," she said.

Mrs. Diller said fire started with the kitchen and the utility room, Marlowe said.

The couple is currently staying in a travel trailer on the property.

Fire officials are still investigating the incident.