Second robber caught near police station

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, May 21, 2003

Some people just don’t get it.

Demopolis Police have made another armed robbery arrest at a local convenience store. And yes, it’s the convenience store located just across the street from police headquarters.

The latest futile robbery attempt came early Friday morning when suspect James Edward Cade, 54, of Demopolis, allegedly pointed a gun at the night clerk at Elk Food Mart and demanded all the money. Cade was caught by Demopolis Police in less than 20 minutes.

Email newsletter signup

That arrest comes less than three weeks after a juvenile walked into Elk Food Mart with a gun and demanded all the money in the cash register. Police literally walked out the front door of their headquarters and made that arrest as the suspect drove away from the crime scene.

According to Demopolis Police Chief Charles Avery, police were called to Elk Food Mart early on Friday morning after being told by the clerk that an elderly man entered the store and took a bottle of wine to the counter.

Once called to the scene, Demopolis Police Officers Derrick Carter, Leslie Hines, Sgt. Tommy Johnson and Det. Sgt. Tim Soronen viewed the surveillance tape and remembered seeing a suspect that matched the person on the video. Apparently, Cade had fled the scene and was not hiding after the robbery attempt.

Cade, found with a large amount of currency, was taken back to the convenience store across the street from the police station where the clerk identified him as the man who robbed the store.

Cade has been charged with first-degree robbery.

Avery publicly thanked Johnson, Carter, Hines and Soronen for their expeditious work on the case.

Just as Cade confessed to the Friday morning robbery, police had similar success with the arrest they made in early May of the juvenile who robbed Elk Food Mart. In that case, police were called and quickly apprehended the robber. In his car, police found the currency stolen from the store, along with a gun and a red bandana, which the suspect wore during the robbery.