WAP ends 11-game skid

Published 12:00 am Monday, September 8, 2003

Through the players, coaches, families, friends and supporters, that phrase was a common denominator.

For those who had endured the past 11 games (all losses), the win was definitely a breath of fresh air.

Senior quarterback Kevin May summed it up this way:

Email newsletter signup

A good thing happened Friday night for the Titans &045;

they beat the Coosa Valley Rebels in convincing fashion, 26-3.

For most of the first half, however, the game had a much different flavor.

The game was scoreless until late in the second quarter.

Beginning at their own 31 yard line, the Rebels accumulated a couple of first downs before breaking a 38-yard pass play down to the Titan 14 yard line.

That was as close as the Rebels would get all night.

Following a holding call, the Titans would not allow Coosa Valley any closer to the endzone, and the Rebels were forced to settle for a 42-yard field goal with 3:15 remaining in the second quarter.

The 3-0 lead by Coosa Valley served only to ignite the ball of fire from the Titan logo.

WAP’s Tony Reed started things off with two runs of 29 and 9 yards. Joe Magro added another 10-yard rush, pushing the ball to the Rebel 38 yard line with 2:15 remaining in the first half.

Wasting no time, May went to the air and found Titan receiver Shayne Hilchey at the 9 yard line. The 29-yard pass and diving catch gave WAP a chance to put points on the board.

Two plays later, Joe Magro found paydirt from 3-yards out. The PAT failed, but the Titans had grabbed the momentum, and a 6-3 lead, going into halftime.

May agreed. "It didn’t really bother us that Coosa Valley scored. We felt good about holding them to three points.

From there, we knew we just had to get the job done."

The second half fireworks began in the form of gifts from the Rebels.

A mis-played snap on a punt attempt by Coosa Valley gave the Titans first-and-10 from the CVA 15 yard line.

Following a Rebel penalty for illegal participation, it only took the Titans two plays to find the endzone. This time, Tony Reed, following blocks from Magro and Rusty Pope, ran in from the 4 yard line.

May followed with a 2-point conversion, making the score 14-3 with 8:20 left in the third quarter.

After an impressive defensive stand, the Titans regained possession at their own 47 yard line.

Needing only 6 plays to cover 53 yards, the Titans were able to pad their lead.

Pope rattled off runs of 21 and 15 yards, and May added another run of 12 yards.

Pope put the finishing touches on the drive by running in from the six.

The PAT failed, but the Titans held a comfortable 20-3 with 11:47 remaining in the game.

Shayne Hilchey intercepted a CVA pass, giving WAP the football at the Rebel 20 yard line. Three plays later, Pope would add his second touchdown of the night, an 8-yard run.

The PAT again failed, but the celebration was just beginning.

Individually, a few players caught Coach Tutt’s eye.

Pope led the charge offensively, rushing for 89 yards on 11 carries.

Reed chipped in 64 yards on 13 carries, while Magro added 43 yards on 9 carries.

The Titans’ dominance on the front line was evidenced by their rushing yardage advantage over the visiting Rebels.

The Titans outgained them, as a team, 223 yards to 38.

Following the game, many WAP supporters stuck around outside the Titan fieldhouse, enjoying the feeling of getting their first win since Oct. 26, 2001.

Senior Jan Jennings was all smiles, but was ready for more.

The Titans stay in Demopolis next Friday, playing host to the MMI Tigers at 7:30.