Fire ravages local tax office
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, March 17, 2004
Terrie and Lonnie Watson know about the word loss and it’s meaning first hand. Sunday night their accountant business Mcrory&Watson&Associates was gutted due to an electrical fire.
The call came into dispatch around 6:49 pm and the DFD were there only seconds later. One Engine Company and the ladder along with eight firefighters from the Demopolis Fire Department fought the blaze.
“This is just horrible,” said Terrie Watson, “This house isn’t just the place of our business, it’s our home period.”
Email newsletter signup
Lonnie Watson said that luckily all the tax files and customer files made it through the blaze unharmed. He wishes he could say the same thing about the companies’ computers and copying machine.
“This whole thing is just another one of god’s tests I suppose,” Lonnie Watson said.
Terrie Watson with tears in her eyes said that they have one choice and only one choice and that’s to rebuild. She said there are just too many memories to pack up and leave now.
“My family bought this house back in 1944 and this is also the place that my mother and father both passed away at back in 2002. There is no way I’m going to let this fire break my spirit,” Terrie Watson said.
Walking around the inside of the building the smell of fire and ash was all around. The carpets were wet from the fire hoses and the walls were charcoal black.
This is what has become of the Watson’s house and business, but they have vowed to rebuild. Standing by her grandmother’s antique rocking chair, that was left unharmed Terrie Watson said “We will come back bigger, better, and bolder.”
They both want to thank the community of Demopolis for the outpouring of support they’ve received since this fire. Terrie Watson said the next day after the fire Sharon Day, Dan Wilson, Michael Lamb and many others brought them supplies and came by to check to make sure that everyone was okay.
“This is why I would never leave Demopolis. We had 42 people come by yesterday and check on us,” Terrie Watson.
Their business now has a new home; a trailer right next to the house will serve as the station of business until they can rebuild the house.