Smoke can’t stop Papa’s
LINDEN-Despite a fire that filled the Papa’s Foods in Linden with smoke, the store was open for business the next day. The Linden Police and the Linden Volunteer Fire Department responded to a report of a fire at Papa’s Foods Monday night in Linden. The call came into the Linden Police Department at 7:05 p.m. and the fire department was on the scene at 7:11 p.m.
Sgt. Scott McClure of the Linden Police Department said he received the call and responded to Papa’s Foods to help control traffic and to maintain order. James Creel of the Linden Volunteer Fire Department said the fire started due to work that was going on at the store.
He also said they were wielding the cardboard baler trying to repair it in the storage room of the building, when sparks from the wielding caught the cardboard on fire.
“There was a lot of smoke coming from the burning cardboard, but we managed to knock it down,” Creel said.
He said there was no structural damage to the building just mainly smoke damage and water damage. He also said the Marengo Fire&Rescue Squad responded and helped to maintain the fire and control the crowd.
Papa’s Food manager Wynn Echols said the fire was quickly overcome and there were no injuries to report of. He also said the store suffered just some smoke and water damage.
“The store is in good shape overall and we were open for business on Tuesday,” Echols said.