Lunchlady Blues: Fire chief suspects water heater in middle school fie

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, April 28, 2004

A fire Tuesday morning burned out a storage room next to the cafeteria at Demopolis Middle School. The fire also caused smoke damage to the cafeteria kitchen.

The Demopolis Fire Department received the call at approximately 7:08 a.m., said Fire Chief George Davenport, and fire crews arrived a minute later. Two trucks and six firefighters responded, and 500 gallons of water was used to put out the fire.

It is believed the fire began with the water heater in the storage room, Davenport said. Along with smoke damage in the kitchen and soot in the cafeteria, the fire chief estimated the dame at $30,000.

Email newsletter signup

The noon meal for DMS students was lost due to the fire, and students were dismissed Tuesday at mid-day. Serv Pro was brought in Tuesday to clean up the fire and smoke damage.

A full day of classes will resume today at DMS with bag lunches being brought in from another school until the kitchen is back in order.