Sheriff learns reasons for brawl

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, May 25, 2004

FORKLAND-The brawl on Thursday night that landed two people in the hospital with stab wounds, one in the leg and the other in the lower back, puncturing his lung has finally started to take shape. Greene County Sheriff Johnny Isaac said the fight was over an incident that happened in Forkland about a week before.

“Le Arthur Armstead poured a beer on Michael Spencer during an argument at a Forkland residence about a week before this incident,” Isaac said.

He said on the Thursday night of the stabbings, Armstead was at the Eagle’s Nest nightclub in Forkland with his cousin Christopher and Spencer along with his two brothers, Myrick and Mario Spencer when they got into an argument.

Email newsletter signup

He also said Le Arthur went to his car and got his gun and then started to beat Michael to the ground with it.

“Michael then pulled a knife out and stabbed him in the back, puncturing his lung,” Isaac said.

Armstead was transported to Demopolis, and then he was airlifted to Birmingham, were he is currently listed in stable condition.

Myrick Spencer was stabbed in the leg and was taken to Bryan Whitfield Memorial Hospital in Demopolis were he was later released. Michael Spencer was arrested on scene and charged with first-degree assault. He is still currently in the Greene County Jail as a bond has not been set.

“We currently have one arrested for assault,” Isaac said, “With future arrests coming.”

Around 9 p.m. on Thursday, the Greene County Sheriff’s Department received a call from Forkland asking for assistance with a fight in the Eagle’s Nest nightclub’s parking lot. When the deputies arrived on the scene they found the aftermath of five black males, three brothers and two first cousins fighting with knives in the parking lot that left two of the men injured with stab wounds in the leg and lower back.

Greene County Sheriff Johnny L Isaac said this was the first major incident they have been involved in since taken over the protection of Forkland citizens back in December.