Spiller carries on family tradition as Retailer of the Year
Published 12:00 am Friday, June 11, 2004
Shane Spiller, Vice President of Spiller Furniture Stores, has been named RETAILER OF THE YEAR by the Southeastern Home Furnishings Association. This honor came at the annual convention at Sandestin, Florida. Shane Spiller has been very active in the Association for several years. This honor is bestowed upon the member that practices professional ethics is all he does.
This marks the first time in the history of the Association that a third member of the same family representing the third generation in the firm has been given this high honor. Shane’s grandfather James E. Spiller, Jr. received this honor in 1976, his father Michael B. Spiller was so honored in 1987. All three also served as President of this Retailer group which includes Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana.
Shane Spiller is a graduate of the University of Alabama where he also served one year as “Big AL”. Other accomplishments of Spiller include:
* Named “Top 40 under 40” by National Home Furnishings Association
* 1999 – Present – Certified Lay Speaker of the Methodist Church and active member of Taylorville Methodist
* President Of Southeastern Home Furnishings Association 2001-2002
(States represented: AL, MS, LA, and Panhandle of FL)
* 2001-2004 West Alabama Chamber of Commerce Board Member
* 1995- Present – Steering Committee Tuscaloosa International CityFest and Weindorf
* President Hillcrest High School Business Advisory Committee
Spiller Furniture Company, which has 17 stores across the state of Alabama including one store in Columbus, MS, has been in business for over 56 years