Datebook June 25, 2004
Published 12:00 am Friday, June 25, 2004
Everyone is invited to a city-wide revival in Uniontown at 7 p.m. in the Uniontown City Hall Parking Lot. Evangelists the Revs. Clifford Coleman and Phillip White will lead the service with music by The Gospel Wonders.
Open House on Sunday June 27, 2004 from 2-3 p.m. Join the fun as the BWWMH Auxiliary showcases their new Gift Shop. Door Prizes, 15% off all merchandise and refreshments will be served.
The regular meeting of the West Alabama Mental Health Board is scheduled today at the Spring Hill Home located at 1300 Old Spring Hill Road in Demopolis. The public is invited to attend.
Onsite registration for second summer split term classes at Shelton State Community College will be held on Wednesday, July 7. This option is available for current, returning, transient and transfer students. Please call 205/391- 2900 or visit the Shelton State website at www.sheltonstate.edu to register. The first day of second summer split term classes is July 8 and classes end on August 10. If you are a beginning freshman and have not been admitted and are interested in attending classes in the spring, please contact the Shelton State Community College Counseling Center at 205/391-2232.
The Arts Council of Thomasville will present “Nunsense”, a musical by Dan Groggin on July 9 and 10 at 7:00 p.m. and July 11 at 2:00 p.m. at the Thomasville High School Cafetorium. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children ages 6 to 10. (No children under age 7 please.) For more information, please call 636-1829.
The annual Atkins Family Reunion for Descendants of Joseph Atkins, Sr. will be Sunday, July 11, 2004 at the Pocahontas Methodist Church Hwy 78 between Jasper and Carbon Hill. 10 a.m.
until ? Everone bring a covered dish or drinks and pictures. Loads of Love and lots of togetherness. Everyone invited! SEE YOU THERE!
The summer administration of the Alabama High School Graduation Exam and the High School Basic Skill Exam will be held July 19 – 23 at Demopolis High School’s auditorium on the following schedule: Monday: Social studies (AHSGE), Tuesday: Science (AHSGE), Wednesday: Mathematics (AHSGE and Exit), Thursday: Reading (AHSGE and Exit), Friday: Language (AHSGE and Exit). Testing will begin promptly at 8 a.m. each day. Tutoring for the graduation exam will also be held July 5-16 at DHS. For more information, call 289-0294.
Boys who will be in grades one through four in the fall are invited to take part in the Prairie District Day Camp sponsored by the Boy Scouts. The event will be held Saturday, July 24, from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Lions Park in Greensboro.
The cost is $10 for registered scouts and $15 for all other boys. For more information, contact Virginia Tucker, chairman, at 334-624-9124, or Cindy Hay, 334-289-9050.
– The Arts Council of Thomasville will present “Nunsense,” a musical by Dan Groggin, on July 9th and 10th at7:00 p.m., and July 11th at 2:00 p.m. at the Thomasville High School Cafetorium. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children ages 6 to 10. (No children under age 6 please.) For more information, please call 636-1829.
– The Lower Gainesville Road Volunteer Fire Department is selling reflective mailbox and house markers that are
highly visible, fade resistant and pre-drilled holes. Please call 205.372.2146. Order from Lower Gainesville Road VFD, 2170 County Road 129, Boligee, AL 35443. Make checks payable to : Lower Gainesville Road VFD.
– Orders are being taken for the reprinting of “The Heritage of Marengo County. The cost is $64.80 if picked up, $69.80 if mailed. Send orders by May 15 to Becky Willis, 1110 Co. Road 59, Faunsdale, AL 36738 or Ruth Allen, 885 County Road 1, Gallion, AL 36742. For more information, call 1-334-295-1407.
– There is a caring group available to the hurting and lonely who have experienced the loss of a loved one or other loss in their life. Life After Loss meets the first Monday of each month at in the First Baptist Church of Demopolis Fellowship Hall. The meetings are free and confidential. For more information, call 1-334-289-1709 or 289-0780.
– The James B. Rogers Men’s Breakfast and Bible Study meets each Friday at 7 a.m. at Trinity Episcopal Church’s Parish house for food and fellowship. All men in the community are invoted to attend. For more information, call 289-3363.
– The Demopolis Lions Club will meet July 13 at The Red Barn on Highway 80.
– The Weather Alert Sirens will be tested the first Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. if weather permits.
– To volunteer your time to help others, contact SouthernCare Hospice at 275-CARE or toll-free 1-888-641-6126.
– Comfort Care Hospice will be offering a volunteer orientation program. Those interested in helping others should call 289-2106 or 1-888-737-9931.
– Hospice South of Demopolis is seeking volunteers to make a difference in the lives of others. Call 1-800-528-9253 for more information.
– Ethel Lodge No. 588 will meet every first and third Friday of the month. The meetings will be held at the lodge in Jefferson, Ala., and will begin at 7 a.m.
– Murry’s Chapel No. 554 will meet every third Saturday of the month. The meetings will be held at the lodge in Jefferson, Ala., and will begin at noon.
– Comfort Care Hospice is offering grief and caregiver support groups at no charge. For more information, call 289-2106.
– West Alabama Sav-A-Life offers pregnancy testing at no charge, abortion information, post-abortion counseling and adoption information Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to noon. Come by 724 N. Walnut Street in Demopolis or call 289-CARE. Volunteers are always needed.
– Braxton Senior Day Care needs men and women to join its Day Care Auxiliary. Call 289-2421.
– Victims of Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault support group information is available by calling 289-8988.
– Magazines and books collected by the Bryan W. Whitfield Memorial Hospital auxiliary may be dropped off at the hospital, or call 289-3459 for pickup.
– Alcoholics Anonymous meets Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. at the AA Building, 105 Cedar Street. Wednesday is a closed meeting. AlAnon family group meets Tuesday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. Narcotics Anonymous meets Mondays, Fridays and Sundays at 7:30 p.m.
– A Small Business Administration representative offers counseling at the Demopolis Area Chamber of Commerce. Call 289-0270.
– The West Alabama Business and Professional Women’s Club Inc. meets the first Thursday of each month at 5:15 p.m. in the meeting room of the Demopolis Public Library.
– The Marengo Memorial VFW Post No. 5377 meets the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at the post headquarters on Highway 43.
– The Classy Citizens senior group, sponsored by the Parks and Recreation Department, meets Mondays from 10 a.m. to noon in the East Room of the Demopolis Civic Center. The Classy Senior Citizens have fun and games every Monday at 10 a.m. and every Wednesday and Friday at 10 a.m., the group meets for light exercises.
– The Demopolis Masonic Lodge #49 meets every second and fourth Monday at 7:30 p.m. at the Demopolis Lodge on Highway 80.
– The Demopolis Kiwanis Club meets at noon every Tuesday in the Ellis V Restaurant on Highway 80.
– The Demopolis Rotary Club meets at noon every Wednesday in the Whitfield Hospital classroom
on Highway 80.