Pettus Street fire leaves garage a total loss

Published 12:00 am Monday, June 27, 2005

DEMOPOLIS-A quick response by the Demopolis Fire Department likely prevented a tragic fire on West Pettus Street Friday. The department received a call of shed burning around 11 a.m. The fire was burning dangerously near the residence when the department arrived and contained it. Capt. Carl Johnson said the department was on the scene within minutes of receiving the call. Johnson said the conditions surrounding the fire gave the department the go ahead to work on extinguishing it immediately.

“The call came in at 10:48 a.m. and we were there about two minutes later at 10:50 a.m.,” Johnson said. “The shed was pretty much gone when we got there and we had it under control in a matter of minutes. Because it was a shed we didn’t have to worry about anybody being inside.”

The cause of the fire, which occurred at 705 W. Pettus St., is still unknown. Johnson said there were appliances in the building, but they were not certain if it was electrical.

Email newsletter signup

“We don’t really know how it started,” Johnson said. “He has some appliances in there that were on, but we aren’t sure how it started.”

Six on duty personnel and one off duty firefighter responded to the blaze along with Rescue One, Car One and No. 1 Ladder. Friday was an extremely hot day, which made fighting the blaze even more telling on the fire fighters. Johnson said the heat took a lot out of those who responded.

“It was 93 degrees, which was a big factor,” Johnson said. “Everybody was pretty hot and tired when it was over. We basically had everything back in the station or almost in the station two hours later.”

Unfortunately, everything in the two-story shed was lost. However, things could have been much worse. The residence is less than 50 yards from the shed itself and without a quick response from the department the situation could have become even more dangerous. Johnson said he was proud of the response from the department and the quick calls from concerned citizens.

“We got a good response on it the guys did a really good job,” Johnson said. “The concern of the neighbors and the people around town were also a big factor. Everybody has always helped the fired department and we hope people continue to do that.”

A small amount of damage was reported to the side of the house, which likely occurred before the department could arrive. The damage to the home was only heat damage and not expected to have serious consequences.