Locals achieve status of hero

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, July 12, 2005

LIVINGSTON-In the wake of Hurricane Dennis there were many heroes. Monday the Livingston City Council recognized those who had helped through the hard times. They also recognized the greatest heroes of them all. Four young girls, Angie Tanner, Kate, Derby, Meagan Fleming and Kayla Harwell were all recognized along with Lula Sanders for saving the life of a young boy at the Livingston Community pool.

The five were given Certificates of Appreciation at Monday’s city council meeting recognizing their bravery under fire.

Livingston Mayor Tom Tartt said Sanders and the girls worked quickly together and in the end it meant the difference between life and death for the young boy.

Email newsletter signup

“As many of you already know we had a near drowning at the community pool,” Tartt said. Mrs. Lula Sanders noticed the boy was in distress, notified the lifeguards and they were able to pull him out.”

Tartt said the girls performed their training flawlessly and for that reason the young man was alive today.

“They reacted as they were supposed to,” Tartt said. “They got him out of the pool, performed CPR, and from what we understand the young man is doing fine now.”

The boy has fully recovered and has even come back to the pool.

This was not the end of the heroic acts performed by Sumter Countians in recent weeks. Another certificate was given to local fire fighter Jacob Harmon who was able to save a historic building in Australia using his training with the Livingston Fire Department.

Harmon was jogging when he noticed smoke billowing from a century old building at a Tallebudgera retreat. Harmon immediately reacted leading to the salvaging of the historic building.

Tartt said a simple vacation had resulted in a great deal of pride in Harmon and the city fire departments training.

“Jacob is one of our student firemen here and he was on vacation visiting his mother in Australia,” Tartt said. “While he was there he was jogging and spotted a fire, helped them and put it out. We are extremely proud of him.”

Harmon was still on vacationing in Australia Monday.

When asked about the incident by an Australian paper Harmon said he ran into a small problem.

“I went to find hoses and hydrants and I yelled to my friend to call 911,” Harmon said. “He yelled back and said it’s 000 over here!”

Despite the minor setback Harmon was able to lead the firefight until Gold Coast fire rescue officers arrived.

No one was injured in the blaze.