Trinity art show benefits local students

Published 12:00 am Thursday, September 8, 2005

Demopolis area students will be able to attend Environmental Camp at Camp McDowell after Trinity Episcopal Church holds its first Art Show and Sale.

A preview sale will take place Friday, Sept. 23 from 5:30 p.m. until 7 p.m. The main sale will be Saturday, Sept. 24 from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. Lunch will be catered by George Bley, and will be available for purchase at 11 a.m. Saturday.

Mayor Cecil Williamson is an active member of Trinity Episcopal and the primary organizer of the art show. She was introduced to the idea of having the church sponsor an art show when she attended a diocesan meeting. Tazewell, an artist-in-residence at St. Dunstan’s in Auburn, also helped enable the event.

Email newsletter signup

Regie Galloway, an organizer in charge of event publicity, said there will be a wide range of pieces available, including church-related, non-church-related, low price and high price items. There will be jewelry, paintings, ceramics, glassworks, photography and more. The show and sale will be held on the church grounds, if weather permits.

There are currently 14 artists scheduled to participate, including Tazewell, and many artists with connections to Demopolis. Those artists are Jesse Lavon, Anna, Woolf, Neal LaSalle, Joseph Turner, Karen Davidson, Hannah Turner Lavey, Robin Rogers, Maryanne Baker, Lynda Ray, Roberta Bailey, Michael Clements, Jane Latture, Laura Clements and Paula Dunning.

The artists will receive 80 percent of profits from the sale. The other 20 percent will fund scholarships for students to attend the Environment Camp.