Family comes home to ashes

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, November 29, 2005

JEFFERSON – Imagine leaving your home one late afternoon and going back to it the next morning, only to find it had been burned down and nothing was left in tact.

Well, that is what happened to Marcus Glass and his family.

“My son went to school this morning and his teacher asked him if anyone was hurt in the fire,” trailer owner Glass said.

Email newsletter signup

Glass said they were in the process of moving the mobile home on County Road 57 to a different location so there were no keepsakes inside.

“We didn’t have anything in it besides the refrigerator, stove and other appliances,” he said. “We had everything else out of it. We were going to move it this morning.”

Although this wasn’t the Glass family’s main residence, Glass said he was selling the trailer and the potential buyers had recently made the first payment on it.

“And this is how they find it this morning,” he said.

Glass and his wife were sitting outside the home Sunday night, he said, waiting for someone to come move it until about 8 p.m.

Early Monday morning, a friend of his saw a smoke coming from the property but didn’t think anything of it.

“He saw it on his way to work about five or six this morning and he just thought it was someone was burning trash,” Glass said Monday afternoon. “He knew we were moving the trailer so when he didn’t see it there, he just thought we had moved it already.”

Thus, Glass believes the home began burning late Sunday night and the blaze was dying as the sun came up Monday morning.

“The power was disconnected three weeks ago and if you look right there,” Glass said as he pointed to the center of the home, “you can see that it’s darker on that part of the tin than it is anywhere else.”

Hence the reason Glass believes someone set the home on fire by throwing something through the front or back door.

Although Glass spoke to the Marengo County sheriff this morning, no emergency response teams reported to the scene during the fire.

“We are going to do an investigation and notify the state fire marshal,” Chief Deputy Tommie Reese said. “That’s all I can say right now.”

“The sheriff said he’d do his investigation,” Glass said. “There’s a reward for any information leading to arrests.”