Longhorns playoff picture still a mystery after storm

Published 12:00 am Monday, April 24, 2006

Friday, in their game with Patrician Academy, Marengo Academy was supposed to get a clear picture of where they stood for the postseason.

But, Mother Nature had something to say about that. With a win over the Saints, Marengo would have clinched second place in their region and a higher seed in the playoffs. A loss would have put Marengo in a one-game playoff with Wilcox Academy next week for the number two spot.

As of 5 p.m. Friday, the Longhorns fate was still up in the air.

Email newsletter signup

Marengo trailed Patrician 8-3 in the fourth inning when lightening forced umpires to clear the field. Scott Park was then bombarded by storms blowing in from Mississippi leaving the games outcome doubtful for Friday. If the game had made it to through fifth inning, officials would likely have ended play altogether. But, because of the game’s importance on the regional picture, the game will be completed.

The way the game started for the Longhorns, they likely would have been happy to play another day.

Patrician jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead pounding out six hits in the first inning.

But, Marengo slowly shipped away at the lead and turned what could have been a blowout into a possible comeback.

The Longhorns got on the board in the bottom of the fourth when Robbie Smith slapped an RBI double to score Nic Laduron.

Patrician added another run in the second to make the score 5-1 and seemed ready to pull away.

But the Marengo bats let them know they were in it for the long-haul with two solo home runs to keep Patrician on their toes.

Trey Powell pulled the trigger for Marengo’s first score of the inning with a solo blast to make the score 5-2.

Josh Dunn followed with a shot of his own to make the score 5-3.

Marengo seemed to be well on their way to a comeback win until Patrician’s Barry Meaks slapped a three-run homer over the left field wall to make the score 8-3.

Dustin Edwards reached base for reached base for Marengo in the bottom of the fourth before umpires stopped the game.

As of press-time, the outcome of the game had not been determined.