Mother, children escape fire

Published 12:00 am Thursday, January 4, 2007

LINDEN &045; A woman and her two children awaken to find their home on fire in the early morning hours yesterday.

The fire and police department responded to a house fire at 711 Ford St.

Hope Rogers called 911 after discovering the fire in the kitchen of her home at 1:41 a.m. Linden Fire Chief James Creel said the fire was caused by a short in the stove.

Email newsletter signup

Creel said that the fire started after Rogers and her two children had been asleep for some time. He said that Rogers discovered the fire early on but was lucky to have gotten herself and the children out before it spread.

Creel said the fire hadn’t spread too far in the house owned by Mattie Hearn by the time the firefighters got it under control so the house can still be repaired. He said the firefighters had to spray water up into the attic to put out the fire and that it caused water damage to the ceiling and walls that will need repair. He said the majority of the damage was contained din the kitchen and the hall.

Both Creel and Police Chief Laduron said that they were glad that Rogers and her two children were able to escape the house before the fire had spread.