Allen Wilbur Johnson
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, May 6, 2008
DEMOPOLIS &8212; Allen Wilbur Johnson, 89, of Demopolis, died May 5, 2008, at home. Funeral services are set for 2 p.m. today, at the First Baptist Church in Demopolis with the Rev. Rex Kent officiating. Interment will follow at the Mount Sterling Cemetery in Choctaw County. Visitation will be at 1 p.m. with services following. Bumpers Funeral Home of Butler will be in charge of arrangements.
Born Nov. 11, 1918, in Elmore County, Johnson was the son of William Harrison and Annie L. Johnson. The family moved to Choctaw County in 1920, where Johnson and his siblings grew up. He was a graduate of Choctaw County High School, where he developed a love for football and actually attended an extra year to play the game.
Upon graduating, in 1938, Johnson joined the C.C.C. Camp remained there until the onset of World War II. He joined the U.S. Marines and qualified as a rifle marksman, sharpshooter, and served with the heavy, anti-aircraft gun crewman. He was also a guard-patrolman.
Johnson served his country as a Marine between March 1942 and November 1945. After seeing action in the Asiatic-Pacific Area, Pearl Harbor, Tulagi, the British Solomon Island and Guadalcanal, he returned to the states and began his life as a civilian in Colorado. He soon met his future wife, a lady from Pennsylvania, who would later present him a son, William Allen.
Johnson was preceded in death by his parents, William H. and Annie L. Johnson, and his son, William Allen.
Survivors include his wife of 61 years, Carolyn Johnson, of Demopolis; his daughter-in-law, Patricia Johnson, of Colorado Springs, Colo.; two granddaughters, two sisters, Daisy Richardson, of Frankville, and Emma Jean Thrash, of Creola, and a host a nieces and nephews.
Pallbearers are: Russell Burdett, Fred Steen, Chuck Willis, Wallice Raines, Ed Shepherd and John Brister.
Honorary pallbearers are: Drew Johnson and wife, Genida, Dudley Johnson and wife, Mildred, The Hugh Lloyd Sunday School Class of the First Baptist Church of Demopolis.