Martin re-elected to District 4 seat

Published 11:08 pm Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Unofficial results from Tuesday’s run-off election show incumbent county commissioner Calvin Martin reclaimed the district 4 spot with 69.20 percent of the vote. His challenger, Wayne Leonard, racked up 30.80 percent.

Martin currently serves as the chairman of the county commission, a position that rotates among the five seats. He was also recently honored by the American Red Cross.

He could not be reached for comment by press time.

Email newsletter signup

Reached by phone Tuesday night, Leonard said the results speak for themselves.

“I just want to congratulate Calvin,” Leonard said. “He really went out there and beat the bushes.”

When asked if he would run for election in the future, Leonard said it was a possibility, given his positive experience with this campaigning process.

“This was my first time and I went out there and saw a lot of people that I haven’t seen in a long time,” Leonard said. “I made a lot new friends and we’ll just have to see.”

In total only 1,149 voters turned out for the district 4 election, which is not a far cry from the total amount of ballots cast in Marengo County, which was 1,384. This amount is only a fraction of the county’s more than 14,000 voters.

Marengo County’s results in the state elections show Twinkle Andress Cavanaugh beating out Republican Matt Chancey for president of the Public Service Commission with 66.37 percent of the vote, or 148 votes. Chancey, a first time candidate, had 33.63 percent, or 75 votes total.

In the run-off for Court of Driminal Appeals place 1, Beth Kellum clinched the election with 73.97 percent of the vote, a total of 162 votes in Marengo County, while opponent Lucie McLemore captured 26.03 percent, or 57 votes total.