2 dead in shooting

Published 10:47 pm Thursday, November 13, 2008

In an eerie scene last night, a yellow crime scene tape blocked the entrance to a dilapidated bluish-grey house at 722 E. Decatur Street in Demopolis.

Still laying upside down, an empty hat sat on the damp ground in the front yard – beside it on the sidewalk lay a pool blood.

The usually quiet City of Demopolis was rocked by a double homicide Thursday night. Details were still sketchy last night as investigators combed the yard surrounding the small house where an apparent shooting victim was found dead. Another victim was pronounced dead at Bryan W. Whitfield Hospital shortly after law enforcement arrived on the scene around 5:30 p.m.

Email newsletter signup

Police questioned several witnesses but had not made an arrest as of press time last night.

“We do not have a suspect in custody at this time,” Demopolis Police Chief Tim Williams said last night. “We do hope to have more details in the morning and will investigate this very thoroughly.”

Williams said he was still gathering information on the case and would be working through the night to piece together details, but he did state the two victims were adult black males over the age of 18.

In 20 years on the police force, Williams said this was the first double homicide he has seen in Demopolis.

“This is very unusual for Demopolis,” said Williams.

Yesterday’s killings more than doubled the homicide total for 2008. One person was killed earlier this year.

A crowd of a few hundred residents gathered quickly after the law officers arrived to the residence where the shootings occurred.

“I am in shock,” said T. Anderson, who lives a couple of blocks away. “I’m just speechless. We hardly ever see this kind of crime in Demopolis. I can’t believe this has happened here.”

Those who gathered to watch the scene with interest and concern noted there were a large number of law enforcement officers on the scene.

“We were in the middle of a shift change when the call came in and officers from both shifts were on the scene in a matter of a few minutes,” said Williams. “We also had support from other agencies whose officers were in the area.”

The Demopolis police are investigating the case. Names of the victims were not released last night pending family notification.