• 93°

Thanks to those who responded

Dear editor, The Times,

A few weeks ago, we had a fire in our kitchen and the smoke engulfed our home in just a brief while.

Seemingly, the smoke was giving off toxins that were stifling. Sammy, our poodle, kept barking and warning us that something was wrong but since we are used to him barking, we didn’t pay him a lot of attention – although I did get up to see what was exciting him.

After I didn’t see anything, I returned to what I was doing.

Within a few minutes we started coughing and gagging. I ran into the kitchen and it was covered with smoke.

I immediately called 911 and within what appeared to be seconds we had the Linden Fire Department, Chief of Police Scott McClure, Fire Chief Creel, an ambulance and so many others I cannot begin to name them.

They extinguished the fire, bought in oxygen for my husband and large fans to get the smoke out and stayed with us until everything was as close to normal as possible.

The ambulance carried my husband to the hospital to make sure he was okay. We thank God for saving our lives, our home and for sending help. Chief McClure stopped by, again, the next day to see what he could do to help us.

The entire staff was so professional, caring, brave, kind, helpful and quick thinking. We were immediately made to know that they were concerned and we were safe in their care.

We cannot recall everyone who came, but we want to express our sincere thanks for your helpfulness.

May God forever bless and keep you all.

Elder Samuel and

Joyce Fisher Calhoun

Linden