Two charged in 2008 murder

Published 7:07 pm Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Randy Warren was found shot to death in his apartment on the morning of Feb. 16, 2008, the apparent victim of a shooting the night before. On Tuesday, Demopolis police chief Tommie Reese announced the apprehension of two suspects in the 22-month-old case.

“After a period of time, the investigation went cold,” Reese said. “With the help of the governor’s office, we secured a $5,000 reward (on March 26, 2009). That reward potentially gave us some leads and credible information, which led us to two arrests.”

Arrested were Darius Powell, 18, and Jeffery Williams, 24, both from the Demopolis area. Both are being held in the Marengo County Jail on the charge of murder, and each is being held on a $250,000 bond.

Email newsletter signup

“I feel like the offer of the reward was very pivotal in bringing about the leads that ultimately led to the arrest of these two suspects,” said Marengo County district attorney Greg Griggers. “I want to commend Chief Tommie Reese, Detective Zack Fluker and Detective Tim Soronen for their commitment to the case. It would have been easy to let this case fall by the wayside.”

The suspects were arrested Monday. Powell was arrested at the Demopolis Police Department, while Williams was charged at the Marengo County Jail.

“This was a joint venture between the DA’s office and the police department,” Reese said. “We went through several months of interviewing people and working this case to the fullest.”

Reese added that the motive behind the murder was “drug-related,” involving marijuana. Other details were not made available, as the investigation is still ongoing. Reese said he “felt fine” about the resolution of the case.

Warren, 37, was found shot to death at his residence at 507 N. Ash St. There was evidence of a forced entry. He worked as a maintenance and construction worker for apartment complexes in the Demopolis area, having moved to Demopolis from Greensboro a year before his death.

“I was very elated,” said Warren’s sister, Katie Warren. “I thank God for the Demopolis Police Department, for their good work in bringing this case to a close. We are very happy. I never gave up.”

Griggers said that trial proceedings would begin in February.