Schools on stand-by for weather
With snow and ice forecast for the area late Sunday and Monday, school administrators are keeping a close eye on the forecast and the ground.
Demopolis Superintendent of Education Dr. Al Griffin said he would begin evaluating the weather late Sunday evening but may not be able to reach a safe determination until early Monday morning.
“We’ll look at what’s going on Sunday and, if need-be, we’ll wait until between 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. to make the call,” he said. “We want to be safe but we want to have school if it’s safe.”
Griffin added that parents could expect a phone call early Monday from the school’s mass-calling system, SchoolCast, with any news of weather related closings or changes in schedule.
“But if you don’t hear from us Monday morning, we’re having school,” he said.
Marengo County Superintendent of Education Luke Hallmark’s plan mirrored that of Demopolis.
“I’ve talked to all the administrators and we’ll look at (the weather) Sunday night and really early Monday morning,” he said. “Unless it’s really bad Sunday, we won’t make a decision (about closing) until Monday morning.”
Latest forecast calls for between one to four inches of snow and ice in Marengo County.