Josephine Todd Collins Breyfogle
Published 6:59 pm Friday, April 6, 2012
Josephine Todd Collins Breyfogle July 26, 1921 to March 25, 2012 “Stars Fell in Alabama” the night Josephine Breyfogle was born July 26, 192I, in Gallion, Alabama, to George Davis and Beulah Brown Collins. She was the 7th child and the 4th daughter in a line of 7 girls. She later went to live with an Aunt and Uncle in Denver at the age of 12. She was given lessons in elocution to help overcome the southern accent so evident in Alabama. Josephine was educated at National Park, Maryland and Finch NYC, New York. Josephine’s beautiful soprano voice was a natural talent and gave her exposure to sing with the Denver Municipal Opera. She sang with the St. Louis Municipal Opera Company and was in the the original production of “Carousel.” She married her husband, Arthur Reynolds Breyfogle, Jr., a tenor, on December 23, 1947. He was employed by the airlines and they traveled the world together. Arthur Reynolds Breyfogle III, their son, born December 1, 1948, now resides in Las Vegas. She was a member of the English Speaking Union, Joseph Habersham NF DAR National Society, AA.RP Buckhead Chapter 103, Pro Mozart Society, the Drama Club, and Mary Magdalene Guild at St. Martin’s in the Fields Episcopal Church. She is preceded in death by parents, Beulah and Davis Collins, three brothers, Julian Augustus Collins, George Davis Collins, Jr., and Rufus Milton Collins, and three sisters, Eugenia Avery Collins, Beulah Lee Abernathy and Olivia Cox. She is survived by her son, Arthur Reynolds Breyfogle III and one grandson, Arthur Reynolds Breyfogle IV. Other survivors include three sisters Gwyndolyn CoIins Turner, Mary Elizabeth Collins and Grace Collins Brown. The family wishes to acknowledge a very special caretaker and friend of Arthur Reynolds Breyfogle III, Angie Nicolopoulos who made it possible for Josephine to stay in her place of residence until her passing. We consider her our “angel of mercy.” In lieu of flowers, Josephine requested donations be made to St. Martin’s in the Fields Episcopal Church.