UWA men’s tennis ends season on 17-match win streak
Published 9:20 am Monday, April 14, 2014
The 25th ranked University of West Alabama men’s tennis team ran its winning streak to 17 matches by defeating North Alabama, 6-0, Friday in a Gulf South Conference match at the UNA Tennis Facility.
West Alabama improved to 21-1 overall and 7-1 in GSC play. The Tigers will be the No. 2 seed into the GSC Tournament that begins Thursday at the Lagoon Park Tennis Center and the O’Connor Tennis Center in Montgomery, Ala. UNA is 6-10 and 3-5 heading to Western Kentucky on Saturday.
The Tigers end the regular season a perfect 9-0 in road matches and 4-0 at neutral sites. UWA’s only loss came Feb. 14 at home to top-ranked West Florida (21-0, 8-0).
Nestor Vargas defeated Guillaume Dechoz in No. 1 singles 6-3, 6-1 to improve his singles record to 19-1. Kike Ruiz improved to 15-5 with a win at No. 5 and Manuel Grossmann upped his singles mark to 15-1 with a victory at No. 6 singles.
An 8-0 victory in No. 1 doubles improved Adam Drysdale and Anton Ivanov to 15-5 on the regular season. Vargas and Ruiz are now 16-3 at No. 2 doubles, while Simon Bardell and Grossmann jumped to 12-3 in doubles with their win at No. 3.
Following are complete results from Friday’s match:
1. Nestor Vargas (UWA) def. Guillaume Dechoz (UNA) 6-3, 6-1
5. Kike Ruiz (UWA) def. Ali Murad (UNA) 6-4, 6-2
6. Manuel Grossman (UWA) def. Rob Whitsitt (UNA) 6-1, 7-6 (1)
1. Adam Drysdale/Anton Ivanov (UWA) def. Dechoz/Benjamin Poire (UNA) 8-0
2. Vargas/Ruiz (UWA) def. Aliaksei Kavalenka/Whitsitt (UNA) 8-6
3. Simon Bardell/Grossmann (UWA) def. Alex Weber/Max Druppel (UNA) 8-4