Thomaston man dies in fire

Published 4:20 pm Tuesday, January 13, 2015

A Marengo County man is dead after a morning house fire in Thomaston.

According to Thomaston Mayor Jeff Laduron, the Thomaston Volunteer Fire Department was called to 52 Coats Ave. at approximately 7 a.m. Tuesday.

When firefighters arrived on the scene they saw heavy smoke coming from the home and were informed by bystanders that 94-year-old James Clark, Sr. was still inside the house.

Email newsletter signup

“Firefighters had to force the back door open,” Laduron said. “Mr. Clark was located on the floor near that door. He was removed from the home. Unfortunately, the smoke had got to him and he had passed away.”

Officials believe that the fire was started by an electric heater that was plugged into an extension cord.

It appeared that Clark had tried to extinguish the blaze with a pan of water, which was found next to him on the floor.

The Alabama Fire Marshal is investigating.

“This is standard procedure when there is a fatality during a fire like this,” Laduron said.

The Marengo County Fire and Rescue Squad, Amstar and the Marengo County Sheriff’s Department assisted the Thomaston Volunteer Fire Department on Tuesday.