High-speed pursuit ends with arrest

Published 5:28 pm Wednesday, July 29, 2015

A series of calls to the Demopolis Police Department regarding a single individual ended with a high-speed chase into Greene County Monday.
DeEric Gray, 25, is accused of stealing a vehicle and then leading police on a dangerous pursuit before he wrecked and was arrested on charges of first degree theft of property and attempting to elude law enforcement.
According to Demopolis Police Department officials, Officer Cody Key responded to three calls pertaining to Gray on Monday morning. Later, Officer Tyrennza Washington saw him at the City Landing and was “acting paranoid,” officials said. Key responded to assist at the scene and the officers began speaking with him at the intersection of Childers Street and Walnut Avenue.
At the same time, family members of Gray were at the police department trying to get him help. The family members traveled to the intersection driving a gray Pontiac Grand Am and a red Dodge Charger.
Gray entered the passenger seat of the Grand Am. As the driver of that vehicle walked toward the Charger, Gray allegedly jumped into the driver’s seat and left the scene.
Officers Key and Washington pursued DeEric on Hwy. 43 N at speeds over 100 miles per hour with the maximum speed reaching 115, according to officials.
At one point, Gray allegedly drove into oncoming traffic forcing other drivers off the road. He also passed over hills into oncoming traffic, officials said.
The suspect turned onto Steam Plant road and drove 5 to 6 miles before returning to Hwy. 43 where the pursuit continued north into Eutaw. Officials said Gray traveled through Eutaw on the wrong side of the road and continued traveling into oncoming traffic on Hwy. 11 toward I-59/20.
Police said that during the pursuit, a Mustang traveled at least 20 yards off the road to avoid a collision with Gray who over-corrected and began sliding sideways.
Once the vehicle was stopped, Officer Key blocked the door, but Gray refused to exit the vehicle. Ultimately, the window was broken and Gray was forcibly removed from the vehicle, according to officials.
Upon Gray’s arrest he was transported to the Marengo County Detention Center.
Other agencies assisting in the pursuit were the Greene County Sheriff’s Office, 17th Judicial Drug Task Force, Eutaw Police Department, and Alabama State Troopers.

Email newsletter signup