City of Demopolis calls for board participants
Published 8:36 am Tuesday, January 17, 2017
The new administration leading the City of Demopolis is seeking possible nominees to fill current — or possible future — openings on various city boards.
“The City of Demopolis is looking for citizens interested in helping our city move forward by serving on municipal boards. Your time and talents are needed,” stated City Clerk Sam Gross.
Following is a list of municipal boards along with their primary responsibilities. Those interested in helping the city by serving on a board should forward their name and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org or P.O. Box 580, Demopolis, AL 36732.
The list below is boards/committees along with a description of their powers and responsibilities.
• Airport Commission — deals with airport facilities.
• Board of Adjustment — hears appeals from decisions of municipal administrative officers relating to the applications of municipal zoning regulations, to grant variances and to authorize uses permitted on appeal.
• Cemetery Board Trustee — oversees the maintenance and the operations of the municipality owned cemeteries.
• Demopolis Water Works & Sewer Board — has the authority to operate the municipal water and sewer system with additional authority granted by Section 11-50-290 through 11-50-291 of the Code to operate and manage the sanitary sewer systems of the municipality.
• Industrial Development Board — acquires, owns, and leases projects for the purpose of promoting trade and commerce by inducing commercial enterprises to locate new facilities or expand existing facilities in the city of Demopolis.
• Historic Preservation Commission — provides for the creation, protection and enhancement of historic properties or historic districts.
• Hospital Building Authority — to build hospitals for lease to the municipality.
• Housing Authority — deals with municipal housing.
• Library — operates public libraries.
• Marengo County Economic Development Authority — acquires, owns, and leases projects for the purpose of promoting trade and commerce by inducing commercial enterprises to locate new facilities or expand existing facilities in Marengo County.
• Planning Commission — provides planning, zoning and subdivision controls for the municipality.
• Park and Recreation — directs, supervises and promotes recreation programs for the municipality.
• Demopolis School Board — operates the free public schools within the municipality.
(This article originally appeared in the Saturday, Jan. 14, print edition of the Demopolis Times.)