Commission approves funds for resurfacing
Published 11:59 am Monday, May 21, 2018
On Tuesday, the Marengo County Commission approved contributing $3,500 to the City of Demopolis’ project resurfacing the end of Industrial Park Drive near Newell Paper Co. this money will go towards labor costs.
The commission also approved Revenue Commissioner Sharon Barkley filling an open position in her office and increasing revenue commissioner employee pay for additional duties.
The commission also heard Probate Judge Laurie Hall announce that the publication list of all the voters should be published during the week of the 14th. It will be available in the Democrat Reporter. She also said that poll workers are currently being appointed and poll pads will be set up for training in the next few weeks. Sample ballots for the upcoming elections are available in the probate office and the probate office’s Facebook page.
Other items discussed by the commission are as follows:
• reappointing Debra Shepherd and Mary Sue Henry to the Department of Human Resources board.
• approving a Letter of Support for West Alabama Public Transportation, with Commissioner Freddie Armstead abstaining.
• honoring Curtis King for serving as a board member with the South Marengo Water & Fire Protection Authority for 39 years.
• appointing Chairman Calvin Martin to the Alabama County Commission Association Legislative Committee. The commission approved the current chairman of the commission at any time serve on the committee.
• entering executive session on the basis of general representation of character.
• approved the following terms for hiring summer workers: two workers from each district will work 24 hours per week for six weeks for minimum wage.
The Marengo County Commission meets on the second Tuesday of every month at 9 a.m. in the Marengo County Courthouse in Linden. Meetings are open to the public.
(This article originally appeared in the Saturday, May 12 issue of the Demopolis Times.)