AARP Alabama seeks nominees for Andrus Award
AARP Alabama is now accepting nominations for its 2019 Alabama Andrus Award for Community Service, which honors Alabamians age 50+ who are sharing their experience, talent, and skills to enrich the lives of their community members.
“AARP Alabama is excited to shine a light on Alabamians 50+ who are using what they’ve learned in life to make a difference in the lives around them,” states Candi Williams, AARP Alabama State Director.
The AARP Andrus Award for Community Service is an annual awards program developed to honor individuals whose service is a unique and valuable contribution to society.
Nominations will be evaluated by the AARP Alabama state office based on how the volunteer’s work has improved the community, supported AARP’s vision and mission, and inspired other volunteers. The award recipient will be announced in early fall.
AARP Alabama Andrus Award for Community Service nominees must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Nominee must be 50 years or older.
- The achievements, accomplishments, or service on which the nomination is based must have been performed on a volunteer basis, without pay.
- The achievements, accomplishments, or service on which the nomination is based must reflect AARP’s vision and purpose.
- The achievements, accomplishments, or service on which the nomination is based must be replicable and provide inspiration for others to volunteer.
- Couples or partners who perform service together are also eligible; however, teams are not eligible.
- This is not a posthumous award.
Please visit http://states.aarp.org/alabama/alandrus for further information and a nomination form. The application deadline is July 25, 2019.
AARP’s commitment to volunteer service can be traced back to our founder, Dr. Ethel Percy Andrus, whose motto “to serve, not to be served” has shaped our community service efforts at the national, state, and local levels. Each year, AARP honors the legacy of Dr. Andrus in each state with the AARP Andrus Award for Community Service.