Demopolis council finalizes loan for BWWMH
The Demopolis City Council moved forward with the approval of a promissory note between the city and the Tombigbee Healthcare Authority for a $1 million loan for the local hospital.
The city had recently approved to take out a loan of $1 million through Trustmark Bank, who offered the low-bid interest rate of 2.8 percent. The city will loan those funds to the THA at the same interest rate.
Other items discussed by the council included the following:
• Building Inspector Julius Rembert gave a report on dilapidated property efforts, saying a structure at 1200 Pettus St. is in progress and that the fire department will burn it once ready. He also said a home at 508 N. Strawberry has been torn down, but not cleaned up. Rembert said he will contact the property owner.
• The ongoing problems associated with Roman Alley were discussed when Councilman Nathan Hardy requested piping and bushhog work to be done there. Mayor John Laney stated that according to county maps, some property there belongs to the city or an individual. However, members of the council said a recent survey indicated the property does belong to the city.
The council has discussed Roman Alley for about six years. A plan discussed involved connecting Roman Alley to McNamara Road to allow for improved emergency access.
“These people deserve access and if an emergency comes … it’s going to be terrible,” Hardy said.
The city has worked with Civil Southeast Engineering on improvement plans for Roman Alley.
No action was taken on Hardy’s request.
• The council approved spending $5,400 for repairs to a weather siren.
• A discussion on the City Landing water tank was tabled until July 8.
• Permits were approved for the Freedom on the River fireworks show at the City Landing on July 4, at 9 p.m.
• A capital budget plan for 2019-20 was approved.
The next city council meeting will be held Tuesday, July 8, 5:15 p.m., at Rooster Hall.
(This article originally appeared in the Wednesday, June 26 issue of the Demopolis Times.)