Demopolis BOE approves three principal contracts
Published 3:47 pm Tuesday, April 21, 2020
The Demopolis City Schools Board of Education on Monday approved the extension of contracts for three principals.
The contracts renewed are for each of the three principals completing their first year with the system: Derrick Hester at Demopolis Middle School; Bridgette Powell at U.S. Jones Elementary; and Tish Lewis at Westside Elementary. According to Superintendent Kyle Kallhoff the terms of the contracts are still being finalized.
“Three of our four principals are in their first year. The board and I want consistency in our leadership and are happy to offer renewals to these principals and we will continue working with our school leadership to make sure we have the best schools possible,” Kallhoff said.
The board also approved to begin advertising for teaching positions, including a band director for DHS and DMS, an elementary band and music teacher, and a career prep teacher for DMS. The system will also begin advertising for a bookkeeper for DMS.
Other items discussed included:
• Approving the system’s financial report for March.
• Approving a revision to the DCSS accounting and reporting policty to include that a financial report would be provided to the board at each meeting. This action has been taking place, but was not officially stated in the policy.
• Approving extra-curricular supplements for the 2020-21 school year. The supplements are the same as the current school year with an addition to provide for a student summer workout position.
• Kallhoff said work has continued on a restroom project at U.S. Jones and it is nearing completion with only a few items remaining on the project punch list.
The board approved a personnel report that included the following items.
• Resignations — Bryce Youmans as band director at DHS and DMS, Meggin Mayben, history and broadcasting teacher at DHS, and Jennifer Tate, art teacher at DHS.
• Retirement — Anne Freeman, elementary teacher at Westside Elementary.
• Conditional Employment — Nicole Aledo, science teacher at DMS and Juleigh Stevens, special education teacher at WES.
• Transfers — Anne Marie Lawler will transfer as bookkeeper at USJ to the same position at DHS; Robert Wilkerson from DMS Social Studies to the same subject at DHS; Clint Humphrey from DHS Social Studies to DMS Social Studies; Emi Aultman from teacher at WES to teacher at USJ; and Adrienne Etheridge from teacher at USJ to sixth grade teacher at DMS.