Black History Month: US Jones Choir makes special presentation
Published 10:14 am Wednesday, March 2, 2022
The Demopolis Board of Education held its February meeting at US. Jones Elementary School and were treated to a special presentation from choir students.
Choir students put on a short Black History Month program for the board and parents. The choir students performed two songs; “Lean on Me” by Bill Withers and “Rise Up” by Andra Day. Soloists were Allton Jones, Rashawn Robinson, Miracle Oates, Quinn Hall, Lexi Yelverton, Harris Hewitt, Jordyn Symmons, Coleman Lewis. Speakers for the program were Mitchell Stevenson, MaKenna Gurley, Andrew Bedsole, and Jordyn Johnson.
The regular meeting was fairly short with the board approving several agreements between DCS and employees. The first agreement was with Dustin Bedwell who does maintenance around campus. The board cut his hours back when the time changed, but the board agreed to restore his working hours once Daylight saving time begins on March 13. Other agreements were: Shon Jones, Gina Johnston, Robert Steiner, and Gary Gibson.
Items approved by the board:
- Approved quote and agreement from ACT
- Approved inventory dispositions
- Approved invoice changes from VIRCO for DHS
- DHS Beta Club (BJCC Beta Convention, Birmingham, AL) March 24-25, 2022
- DHS DECA (International Career Dev. Conference, Atlanta, GA) April 22-26, 2022
- DHS Track (Sectionals at UMS Wright, Mobile AL) April 29-30, 2022
- DHS Track (Sate Track Meet, Gulf Shores, AL) May 4-8, 2022
- Resignations/Retirements: Tommy Perkins, 9 month custodian, resigned effective 2/18/2022, Beverly Hogan, 12 month custodian, retiring effective 6/1/2022, Patricia Langley, RN, resigned effective 3/11/2022
- Transfer/Reassignment: Spring Pacheco from Guidance Counselor (10 months) to Federal Programs Coordinator (12 months) at Central Office, effective 5/1/2022
- Substitutes: Carolyn Duncan (sub license), Pamela Bowden (sub license), Tanner Lindsey Lyons (sub license), Marcy Lewis (sub license), Raven Simmons (sub license), Meredith Jacobs (sub license), and Brian Bradley (Professional Certificate and CDL for bus driving)
- Miscellaneous: Terry Fountain, JROTC Instructor, requesting leave of absence beginning 2/23/22 through 6/13/22
- System Wide: Gloria Mims, retired teacher, to work in After School Programs and Tutoring for Intervention during the school day
The next Demopolis Board of Education meeting will be March 14 at Demopolis Middle School.