Demopolis Board of Education treated to ACAP, archery lessons
Published 3:10 pm Friday, March 18, 2022
At the February Demopolis Board of Education meeting, board members were treated to a Black History program and song selection by the USJ Student Choir. At the March 14 meeting, board members were paired with a student and tasked with solving an ACAP (Alabama Comprehensive Assessment Program) math question, along with testing their archery skills.
“We have wonderful math teachers and it’s been amazing what’s happened with math and the hard work of our teachers and students,” said DMS Principal Gary Gibson.
After working on math problems for several minutes, students and board members moved on to showcase their archery skills. In 2019, the middle school received funding for archery equipment and incorporated archery into the middle school P.E. curriculum.
Archery Coach Jesse Bell said that the archery team has done a great job with the program since its inception. The team competed in the national tournament last year.
During the regular meeting, Superintendent Tony Willis reported that work at Westside has been at a standstill for a few days due to contractors waiting for steel to arrive on March 17. Once the shipment arrives work will continue as scheduled.
Covid-19 cases across the school district have dropped to zero and masks are currently optional at all schools.
Willis said he has spoken with the Alabama Department of Transportation who are doing work to find alternative routes into the DHS campus. The alternate routes will help with traffic flow to and from school events, particularly graduation. No routes have been declared as of yet.
- Resignations/Retirements: Leroy Harris, 12 month Custodian, resignation effective 3/15.22, Charlotte Fowlkes, 5th grade teacher, resignation effective 2/15/22
- Employment: Mary Schroeder, RN, effective 3/15/22, to fill nurse vacancy
- Transfer/Reassignment: Eric Kilgore, lunchroom worker (9 months) reassigned to 12 month Custodian, effective 4/4/22
- Substitutes: Abby Carroll, Sub license, approval will become effective 4/4/22, JoeAnn Merriweather, Sub license
- Miscellaneous: Janelle Adams, as classroom Sub for vacancy left by C. Fowlkes, effective 3/15/22 through the end of the school year. Currently holds a Sub license only. Pay will be at $90.00 per day.
Items approved by the Board:
- Approved the financial report for February
- Approved Inventory dispositions
- Approved changes to board policy 5.23- Valedictorian, Salutatorian, and Honor Line. Amendment will go into effect with the incoming fall freshman class.
- Approved the purchase of 600 Lenovo Chromebooks from Synergetics out of the ECF grant
- Approved invoice from Driven Security for $298,997 for security cameras
- Approved invoice from Department of Examiners of Public Accounts for the audit period of October 1, 2020 to September 20, 2021 for $22,184.00
- Approved of agreement between Demopolis City Board of Education and Ward Scott Architecture for $275,000.00 for re-roofing of DHS gym
- Approved budget amendment for carryover monies from governor’s emergency education relief fund
The next board meeting will be April 18 at the DHS gymnasium.