Demopolis Board of Education welcomes new member
Published 3:28 pm Thursday, June 16, 2022
The Demopolis Board of Education began its regular June meeting by swearing in new board member Bobby Armstead. Armstead was elected as the new DCS Board member at the June 2 Demopolis City Council meeting. Armstead brings experience to the position as he has served as a BOE member before.
The board approved Board Policy 5.00 which concerns the fee for non-resident students. The fee was originally $50.00 that was paid once and guaranteed students remained in the school system until they graduate. The new policy makes that fee a one time payment of $100.00 for non-district students.
The board also approved Board Policy 5.27 Credit Recovery that was discussed in a called meeting last Monday, June 6. The original policy stated that the school system offered credit recovery, but did not clarify how they offered credit recovery which is required by the state. The new policy now has an explanation for how students can get their credit recovery.
Under the Superintendent’s report, Tony Willis said that summer enrichment “is in full swing with students at every campus.” He reported that there are over 110 students divided between the elementary schools, and around 92 students split between DMS and DHS. Classes began last week and will go through July 27.
Willis also recognized former board Chairman Conrad Murdock for his contributions to the board and the school system.
Items approved by the Board:
- Approved a contract between DCS and SUMMCO to make the entrance into US. Jones Elementary School safer.
- Approved A+ College Ready E3 Training
- Approved Routine Payment Schedule FY2022
- Approved Textbook Inventory for Westside Elementary School and Demopolis Middle School
- Approved job description for Special Education Instructional Coach
- Approved Dual Enrollment Agreement between DCS and Auburn University
- Approved contract between DCS and Fleming Photography
- Approved facility use request for DHS Gym- Walmart’s 1st Annual Unity of the Community Basketball Tournament for Children’s Hospital of Alabama
- Previous Board Approval(s): Carrie Dauphin, Academic Coach (10-month), effective July 19, 2022
- Employment: Jessica Dial as Federal Programs Bookkeeper (Central Office) – 10-month part time, effective July 19, 2022, Anna Ezell as ELA Teacher (DMS), effective 8/2/2022 (pending procurement of satisfactory documentation and Board approval), Zachary Bigham as Band Director at DMS and DHS, effective 8/2/2022, (pending procurement of satisfactory documentation and Board approval), Andrew Luker as History teacher, effective 8/2/2022 (pending procurement of satisfactory documentation and Board approval)
- Transfers/Reassignments: Reassignment of Kate Lee from 10-month lead nurse to 12-month lead nurse effective 7/1/2022
The next board of education meeting will be July 18 at 5:15 p.m.