Marengo County Commission swears in new member
Published 10:14 am Thursday, July 14, 2022
The Marengo County Commission swore in new member Freddie Armstead, Jr at its July 12 meeting. Armstead is filling the spot left behind by his late father Freddie Armstead, Sr who passed away in February of this year. Armstead takes over for District One.
Armstead has served in several leadership positions over the years such as Director of the Highway Traffic Safety South West Region, he was responsible for writing and administering over $500,000 in ADECA (Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs) grant funding, and he currently serves as the Director of Public Transportation.
During public comments, Charles Freeman approached the Commission to request that the County maintain John Barnes Road. Commissioner Jason Windham said that the road is private property and if the County is to maintain it, Freeman would have to get a resolution from the Commission. However, the process takes time as all the adjoining property owners in the area need to sign off right-of-way to it. Freeman said there are 14 landowners in the area.
Other items discussed by the Commission:
- Tabled voting on AED Defibrillator for County jail until the August 9th meeting
- Moved Resolution for the Expenditure of American Rescue Plan Act Funds to executive session
- Approved amendment to Credit Card Policy
- Approved the Grand Jury report
- Approved ABC Licensing and Compliance Division/New License Types and Fees
- Moved discussion of Assistant Engineer Job Advertisement to executive session
The Marengo County Commission meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 9:00 a.m. in the Marengo County Courthouse. The next regular meeting will be on August 9.