Demopolis Board of Education hears pay scale, contract request
Published 3:10 pm Friday, September 30, 2022
The September 19 Demopolis Board of Education had a somewhat light agenda that included public comments, approval of action and consent items, and an informational report from Superintendent Tony Willis.
Under public comments, Major Walker appeared before the board to discuss and share comments regarding pay scales for bus drivers and a schedule change for himself. Walker said that the current pay for bus drivers is $12 an hour, and he asked the board to consider giving them a raise. Walker’s second request was that the board remove the 6-hour flex clause from his contract.
The board agreed to consider Walker’s request and said they will get back with him at a later date.
Email newsletter signup
Under informational items, Willis reported that the school system has received approval from the fire chief to do phases on the fire alarm system upgrade as they are needed. Roof work has begun at the high school gym/theater that is expected to take around a week to 10 days to complete. Locks have also arrived for re-keying at the high school and were installed on September 24 and 25.
The USJ entrance project bid went to Bob Summerville (local) and he plans to work on the weekends and will soon begin on the project. Drawings for the added parking and the driveway to Maria at the WES multi-purpose building have been approved. The school system is waiting on prices from bidders.
Items approved by the board:
- Board member Bobby Armstead was nominated and approved as the Delegate to the AASB Annual Conference in Birmingham, AL on December 1 2022
- Approved the DHS Biology Department for field trip to Dauphin Island Sea Lab, Nov. 1-2 to Dauphin Island, AL
- Approved DHS Auditorium Use Request by the Black Belt Dream Center, Oct. 12, 2022 (5:00-10:00 p.m.)
- Employment: David Vann as Industrial Maintenance teacher, effective 9/20/22 (pending procurement of satisfactory documentation and Board approval), Angela Wyatt as Lunchroom worker, 9/20/22 (pending procurement of satisfactory documentation and Board approval)
- Substitutes: Burnia Crispin with a Sub license, Keisha Cox with a Sub license, Darren Williams with a Sub license
- Miscellaneous: Robin Maroney as Intervention Teacher for this school year