Demopolis BOE recognizes Teachers of the Year
Published 7:01 pm Tuesday, December 20, 2022
The Demopolis Board of Education recognized the Teachers of the Year at its last meeting on December 12. Four teachers were recognized for their hard work and contributions throughout the school year.
From Westside Elementary School was first grade teacher Jessica Bowden, from U.S. Jones Elementary School was P.E. coach Meagan Bott, from DMS was seventh grade math teacher was Amanda Smith, and from DHS was French teacher Amie Miller.
The board discussed and approved two contracts between DCS and Garner and Associates Engineering PC, Ward Scott Morris Architecture, and approved a quote for a 2023 Thomas C2 Saf-T-Liner 20-Passenger bus.
The agreement with Garner and Associates Engineering PC is for fire improvement at U.S. Jones. The contract with Ward Scott Morris Architecture is for them to handle bidding and the architecture on the restroom renovations and security updates at DHS. They anticipate the bids to be around $300,000.
The new Thomas C2 Saf-T-Liner 20-Passenger bus would replace the current special needs bus that is on route. The current bus has broken down several times and accommodations have had to be made to get students to and from school. The plan is to allow the new bus to take over the route and use the old bus as a backup.
The board unanimously approved all contracts and quotes.
Other items approved by the Board:
- Approved additions to the Routine Payment Schedule
- Approved Inventory Dispositions
- Approved Criteria for Tagging Fixed Assets
- Approved contract with Angenell Jones for SpEd Instructional Services
- Approved contract with Rodney Rowser as Assistant DHS Track Coach
- Approved contract with Kathleen Randall as DHS Varsity Cheer Coach
- Approved contract with Robert Steiner as Assistant DHS Boys Soccer Coach
- Employment: Jessie Johnson as Maintenance Assistant, effective January 3, 2023 (pending procurement of satisfactory documentation and Board approval), McKenzie Dawson as History Teacher, effective 1/3/2023 (pending certification), Abby Carroll as Elementary Teacher, effective 1/3/2023 (pending certification)
- Substitutes: Mazzy Strickland, Patricia Spence, Ella Henderson, Cassaundra Warren, Inell Twilley (all with Sub license)
- Miscellaneous: Tiger Arts Guild requesting payment to the following for contracted work with Tiger Arts Guild to reimburse cost. Kirk Brooker – $500, Jasmine Joiner – $300, Bailey Hammond – $800. Roger Locke requesting FMLA beginning 11/1/22 and ending 11/29/22. Requesting unpaid leave of absence beginning 11/30/22 with anticipated return date of 1/3/2023.